- This event has passed.
Assertiveness for Women
26 May 2021 @ 10:00 am - 4:15 pmFree
About this Event
FREE ASSERTIVENESS WORKSHOP FROM WAYFINDERWOMAN TRUST
Facilitator: Sophie Brigden
This workshop is for women only.
You’ll get the chance to talk in a small group about what assertiveness really is and how you can start becoming more confident in yourselves.
This session is all about building your assertiveness skills. We will start with some self-reflection focussed around where you are now and by appreciating the skills you already have. Through group and individual practical exercises we will explore ways to add to your assertiveness tool box and prepare you to confidently apply these to a difficult conversation you need to make back in your workplace.
The overview of the day includes:
Self-reflection and what you already do well.
What it means to be assertive and what your default communication style is.
How to say ‘no’.
Active Listening and other skills for having courageous conversations.
Applying an assertiveness framework to prepare for speaking up at work.
The workshop is online via Zoom; you will be sent a link by email to join, to ensure you receive your link to this workshop register at Eventbrite
Before the course day, please complete the following pre-work:
Pre-work: Fill in the self-assessment (below)and think of a workplace scenario you are prepared to discuss where you need to have a difficult conversation with a person and would like to be assertive with them.
A Self-Assessment (You will need pen and paper for this)
Below, you will find some questions. It is a self-assessment to help you reflect before the course. The aim is for you think about what you already do well, would like to be able to do, and a couple of quick first steps. During the first part of the session we’ll talk about the self-assessment, but it’s up to you how much you share.
1. On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 is ‘I have no assertiveness skills whatsoever’ and 10 is ‘I have perfect assertiveness skills’ where would you put yourself at the moment? (The first number that comes into your head.)
2. What tells you that you are at that point in the scale and not at 0? (In other words, what are all the things you can already do. As many different reasons as possible.)
3. What number would you like to reach on the scale?
4. What would you be doing if you were at that point? (Think of this as though someone were following you around with a video camera during your working day. What would they be seeing you do, if you were at that higher level of assertiveness?)
5. Going back to the first number you thought of, what would you need to do to move up just one point on the scale? (e.g. If I was at 5, what would I need to do get up to 6?) A couple of things.
That’s it! I look forward to seeing you on the course. Sophie Brigden.
Any questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to find out more about Wayfinderwoman?
Visit us on the web at www.wayfinderwoman.com